Monday, May 4, 2015

I'm normal!

I know that might come as a bit of a shock, but not only am I normal, I've actually had it confirmed by Somebody Who Knows And Has A Scanner.

Yes, on Tuesday I had my dodgy knee scanned.  Actually, as the Somebody Who Knows And Has A Scanner (SWKAHAS) was a student scanner and needed the practice, I had both knees scanned.  I've no idea how they read these things, really I don't.  A whole bunch of dodgy looking wavy lines and some lighter bits, and some darker bits.  Apparently the lighter bits are OK, and the darker bits can be not so good.  And the bobbly looking stuff at the top of the screen is fat.  I shouldn't have asked what it was - I've been poking my knees ever since saying 'he told me there was 2cm of fat on this bit!'  Bleugh.

The upshot from the SWKAHAS is that I don't have a Baker's Cyst, I don't have loose cartilage floating around my left knee (I was told I had about 20 years ago) and I don't really have any problems apart from the fact that it hurts.  The SWKAHAS actually said that my knees were in much better nick than his own - he was about my age but habitually runs 20-30 miles each weekend.  OMG - that's an entire MARATHON!

Since the scan I've gone full tilt on my 18 exercises twice a day, safe in the knowledge that I'm not making it worse.  And I've even added one more exercise.  They now take 20 minutes twice a day.  Or 25 minutes if Happy Running Dog joins in.  Which she does.  Frequently.  She appears to believe it is helpful to rest her head on my legs.  So it's weight training really.

I've started gentle walking - about 1km a day - and hopefully can start cycling soon.

Which is, I have to say, a lot better than Fit Mark is doing - he's currently in hospital (still in A&E on a trolley after 24 hours - hmmm) and plugged in to oxygen and an IV antibiotic drip after developing pneumonia following flu.  This after spectacularly completing the Paris-Roubaix bike race (the one with the cobbles) a few weeks ago.  Not to much Fit Mark as Sick Mark then...  Get well soon!

This week I've been sent my shirt and number for the Cardiff to Tenby bike ride that I'm not doing next weekend.

I'll need to find another use for the shirt then...

No comments:

Post a Comment