Sunday, June 14, 2015

Velothon Wales

Whilst 13,000 people tackled 140km including the Abergavenny Tumble and Caerphilly Mountain, I was sensible and opted for the much easier 52km around Cardiff, Rudry, Caerphilly and back to Cardiff.

I set my alarm for 4.45 and left the house soon after 5.  It was sooooo early - I did ask the Melodeon Master why I was doing it ("because you wanted to") and said "don't let me enter anything again ever".

I was way too early....  When I arrived in Cardiff (parking behind a client's office with my parking permit) I was still far too early, so I prepared my water bottles, sat them on the ground outside the driver's door to keep them upright, and sat to listen to the radio.  It was then that I saw the sign saying about permits being within date.  Date?  Date?  Does it have a date?  Yes it does.  'Expires March 2015'.  Ah.  No problem, I'll park on the road on the other side of the office and pay at a meter.  I back out and drive out of the car park.  Running over BOTH my water bottles.  Oops.  A quick trot over to the event village got me some more water, luckily the bottles weren't split - they just popped their tops off.  Must be tough plastic!

So, water sorted, ticket for parking sorted, bike sorted, off we go.

I set off far too fast - I went at 19mph which was fine, but by the time we hit the bumpy stuff (hills) my legs were already tired.

However, I had secret weapons - Fit Mark and the Melodeon Master.

At the top of the Draethen Drag, Fit Mark and Speedy Charlie had chalked on the road.



Officianados of the Tour de France will know that fans chalk their favourite riders' names on the road to spur them on.  Today it was for me.  Awesome.




I pointed it out to as many fellow riders as I could and was so proud....

Even better, Fit Mark, Speedy Charlie and the lovely Lou were waiting to cheer me on - I waved as I approached them which was just as well as Fit Mark and Speedy Charlie had just finished being filmed shouting 'Allez Allez Allez!'  Not sure where that's going to appear, it wasn't on the local news...

Then at the top of Rudry Common the Melodeon Master and Happy Running Dog were waiting for me.  I had already planned to discard one of my water bottles at this point, so I lobbed it into the grass at the side of the road (again, just like the Tour de France - I've always wanted to do that) and then waved at the Melodeon Master and yelled hello as I pedalled past.


Brilliant to have support on the route.



And then on to Caerphilly Mountain.

Nope, I didn't make it.  Got about half way and then thought I would either burst a blood vessel or have a heart attack, either of which would have been messy, and got off to push.  It's a shame, but the combination of not enough training and starting too fast meant that it wasn't going to happen.

The ride to the finish was then mostly downhill - such fun!  Cycling on traffic free roads that I drive on most weeks was absolutely amazing.  And FAST - I was pedalling as hard as I could, trying to get home in under 2 hours 10 minutes.  I had been aiming for 2 hours, but that had passed, so I chose 2 hours 10 minutes as my next target.

And my finish time?

Officially, 2.11.06.  Nearly did it.  Nearly.


My finishing selfie.  With medal.

I've already registered interest in next year - can't wait!

No, the Melodeon Master is not currently speaking to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment