Monday, May 25, 2015

Proper training

It's 3 weeks to go to the Velothon.  I've actually started Proper Training.  I went out yesterday morning for an hour and a half on the road bike to find as many hills as I could. I've no idea how far I went and can't prove how many hills I climbed because my clever watch thingy decided it had been unloved for Far Too Long and refused to hold its charge. We have now had words, and I am hopeful that it may yet be persuaded to work properly...

In my planned route I included 3 hills that I've never made it up before. I managed to get up 2 of them, but the third (the climb from the Cardiff side to the Maenllwyd for you locals) finished me off and I walked at least half of it. At the top I met an older cyclist who clearly knew it well as he said 'That's a tough one, isn't it?'  to which I replied, in my customary ladylike fashion 'You're right - it's a bugger.' Sigh. One day I will learn to be more polite. To be fair, I was only just managing to breathe at that point...

The lanes I cycled in were mostly clear, although I did have run-ins with two cars - one who wanted to overtake me at the precise moment I needed to pull out to not crash into a runner coming towards me. As it was I slammed on the brakes instead and both the runner and I shouted at the car.  I'm sure he didn't care. The other car was coming towards me and the driver gave me a violent, thumb jerking towards his window hand signal. Anyone know what that means? Nope, me neither...

So I thought I'd done quite well in my training. Until I spoke to Fit Mark that is. He suggested a slightly different route (bigger hills, naturally) in a figure of eight. Twice.

I tried it today but only had time to do one of the loops of the figure eight. I survived, I only got off my bike when the chain came off (twice) and it took 44 minutes. As timed by the clever watch thingy which may well still be sulking. I shall be using this as my marker to see if I'm improving. If I'm still able to breathe at the top of the farm road (first big hill) then that will also tell me I'm improving...

Fit Mark also introduced me to the The Rules as laid out by the Velominati... apparently unbreakable rules to be followed by cyclists, such as:


Rule #7 - Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.  (Tan lines?  In this weather?)

Rule #10 - It never gets easier, you just go faster

and my personal favourite which I used as motivation on the big hills today:

Rule #5 - Harden The F**k Up.

I'm trying - really I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment