Sunday, November 30, 2014

Twang! Stupid injuries No. 2

A long time ago (years, but I've no idea which one) I tore both my hamstrings by being the back end of a pantomime cow...  I wanted to be a GOOD back end of a pantomime cow, so I kept my legs straight and bent at the waist.  After three or so hours I'd torn both my hamstrings and it took a few months to get them right again.

So I've done it again.  To be fair, I wasn't dull enough to be the back end of a pantomime cow again.  No, this time I was actually Trying To Be Useful...  I was pressure-hosing our stone steps.  This is a back-breaking job, probably because I stoop over to see what I'm doing, and I always end up really stiff after an hour or so.   So - aha - brainwave - don't stoop over! Stand straight, bend at the waist and....

TWANG!

Yep, done it again.  Only one hamstring this time, and not as bad as last time (probably because it was only an hour, not three), but a pulled hamstring nevertheless.

This was a couple of weekends ago.  Last week, as you may remember, I ran, swam and cycled.  This was A Bad Idea and by Sunday I was pretty much on one leg.  So I've been super restrained, I've been icing my leg (the cold knobby ice stuff, not the 'sugar and piping' stuff - that would be messy) and I've been keeping my leg up as far as possible.  Tricky when driving, admittedly, but quite nice when watching telly.  And it's a lot better.  Although half an hour of agility at dog-training (even though it's Happy Running Dog that's doing the agility, not me) finished it off again so I really am going to follow the RICE advice (Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate).  I even have a knee support bandage.

So not much of a 'training' blog this week then, eh?

Knitting tips, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment